The Steady Erosion of Truth

According to an August 2014 CNN poll, “public’s trust in government is at an all-time low.  …”The number who trust the government all or most of the time has sunk so low that it is hard to remember that there was ever a time when Americans routinely trusted the government,”  This poll is not an outlier on the public’s views about its government.   A similar poll by the Pew Research Center concluded that “public trust in the government remains near historic lows.”  It has been below 50% almost every year since Watergate in 1974.  The one exception was the period right after 9-11.  Since then, it has steadily declined.

The election of 2008 brought hope for change in both the White House and in the President’s work with Congress.  That has not happened, which has only added to public distrust and a feeling that those in Washington are only interested in self-interest, not the public interest.

One of the reasons for growing distrust is the government’s failure to be forthright with the public on a number of public issues.  Whether it is statements on terrorism or domestic issues like the IRS scandal, the President has made statements that earn him a few Pinocchio’s.  In his State of the Union, the President claimed that climate change was the greatest threat facing future generations.  Really?  And, just before that statement, NOAA/NASA along with environmental zealots trumpeted 2014 as the hottest year on record, exceeding 2005 and 2010 that previously held that distinction.  It didn’t take long for that piece of propaganda to get exposed.

President John Adams once observed, “Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”  The facts about 2014’s  temperature is that surface measurements showed it to be .02 degrees higher than the 2005 and 2010 readings while the measurement error is 5 times greater–.1 degrees.  When this became known NASA’s new James Hansen was forced to admit that the probability of NASA being right was only 38 percent, meaning that the probability of being wrong was 62 percent.

NASA’s surface temperature records have long been viewed with doubt because of adjustments it makes, a lack of agreement with the Hadley Centre’s that is considered the gold standard, and its own satellite record that is the only global record available.

The reason that NASA tries to ignore the satellite record is because it does not show any significant warming over its 36 year history and essentially no warming since the 1998 El Nino.  But, that is not what the warmist cult or the President would have the public believe.

Making claims that are patently false or claims that climate change is our greatest threat are greeted with distain by most in the public which usually knows a con job when it sees it.  Groucho Marx once asked, “Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?”  The President has long passed the point where a large segment of the public is going to accept his statements as straight talk.  That is not only unfortunate for his legacy but more importantly it is very unfortunate for our system of government.  Government operates with the consent of the governed.  When that consent erodes, instability and backlash take its place.

 

This article appeared on the FuelFix weblog at http://fuelfix.com/blog/2015/01/24/the-steady-erosion-of-truth/

Partner & Fellow Blogs